Skip to main content

Christmas in August


I'm glad my husband and I made the rule that we aren't allowed to multitask while watching these movies because this was the first time I'd ever really sat down and watched It's a Wonderful Life in its entirety. AFI rated this one as number 11 on their top 100 list, but I definitely think it belongs in the top ten.

Jimmy Stewart, ah Jimmy Stewart. I think I mentioned at one time that Stewart is one of my favorite actors, didn't I? I can't picture anyone else as George Bailey. The dance scene at the high school and when he walks Mary home have got to be my favorite scenes in the movie.

Frank Capra called this his favorite film. It's another movie that pays tribute to the human spirit and the importance each peoson plays in the lives of their friends and families. The dvd has a neat "making of" documentar in teh special features and aa personal rememberance featuring interview clips with Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart. This movie definitely gets a two thumbs up and I can't wait for it to come on t.v. this Christmas season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitch and the Oscars

Well, after quite some time I"m finally getting here to update this blog. I noticed tonight it's been since January since I wrote anything. Don't know how this post will turn out, though because my body is trying to get a cold and I'm trying to keep ahead of it. Assuming everyone hasn't given up on this blog, does anyone have tried and true methods to offer on how to keep from getting sick? I have to work the next seven days straight through and absolutely have no time to get sick. On the up side, though, I met someone at my church who likes Lord of the Rings as much as I do so now I have someone (in real life) to talk about the movies with and my husband won't have to listen to me talk LotR non-stop, lol! Anyway, on to the update. There are two reasons for the lack of updates. First, all the shows I watch have been first run episodes, so what with keeping up with my t.v. shows, there hasn't been time to catch many movies. Second, there haven't been ma...

Inspiration

Every so often a movie comes along that truly inspires you every time you watch it, more than any other movie you've ever seen. You can watch it over and over and always learn something new about yourself and the world around you. It's the one movie you turn to when life hits a low point and you need someone or something to help pick you back up. I don't know what that one movie is for you, but for me I've discovered it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Return of the King most of all. I don't know why these movies help to pick me up. Maybe it's watching Frodo's struggling journey that helps me realize as hard as I think things are for me, some people struggle with something much harder to deal with and they do it with great perseverance and courage. Like Frodo, they come out a different and stronger person. Makes me realize I should stop complaining and just get on with the task or tasks at hand. Or maybe it's seeing that Frodo wasn't ...

"Here's Lookin' at You Kid"

The other day my husband and I watched Casablanca . It came in at number 2 on AFI's list and I can see why. Citizen Kane was number 1 and this movie was definitely just as brilliant as that one. In fact, they are two of my new favorite movies. I have to ask myself, how did I go through 30 years of life without watching Casablanca ? Allow me to expound - Acting: Some of the accents were a little off, but aside from that, the acting was so good. Sam cracked me up and there was such great acting on the part of Bogart. My favorite scene was when he confronted Ilsa. He acted that scene with such passion that you could feel his character's heartache and anger. Plot: This storyline was much easier to follow than The Maltese Falcon . Also it was neat to see the famous scenes and hear the famous lines from this movie in their proper context. They make so much more sense now. Musical score: Very good in terms setting the tone of key scenes. Sam's playing and choice of music really a...