Skip to main content

Oh, I Give up

I think we won't get around to watching Citizen Kane until next summer when it's back to reruns on t.v. However, there is a holiday movie season coming up with lots of movies that look really good. So, I'm going to take a break from the AFI list and review the movies I make to this holiday season. Let's start with The Incredibles.

We went and saw this last Friday night. It is a huge departure from the previous Pixar movies, both in style and in topic. It was a pretty okay movie and definitely worth seeing on an IMAX screen if possible. The beginning is a little slow moving and I'm not sure how well it will hold kids' attention. The last hour or so is more action packed and more "super-heroish," kind of like Spiderman meets Spy Kids only animated.

Not to put any spoilers here, but I have to say one thing. There is a part where the father loses his job and goes back to "super-heroing" behind his wife's back. He never says anything about losing his job either, just basicaly lies to his wife. Even though he apologizes at the end and the end is all about family values (sticking together, helping each other out, etc), it was still wrong of him not to tell his wife and it bothered me that kids might pick think it is okay to lie in a marriage. I hope parents out there talk with their kids about this and model honest marriages in their own homes.

That was my only beef. Don't know if I'll go see it again, though, especially with so many other good movies coming out. Stay tuned for upcoming reviews, which may include Polar Express, Series of Unfortunate Events, Finding Neverland, National Treasure, and Alexander. I make no promises on these, though, so keep checking back.

Cheers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitch and the Oscars

Well, after quite some time I"m finally getting here to update this blog. I noticed tonight it's been since January since I wrote anything. Don't know how this post will turn out, though because my body is trying to get a cold and I'm trying to keep ahead of it. Assuming everyone hasn't given up on this blog, does anyone have tried and true methods to offer on how to keep from getting sick? I have to work the next seven days straight through and absolutely have no time to get sick. On the up side, though, I met someone at my church who likes Lord of the Rings as much as I do so now I have someone (in real life) to talk about the movies with and my husband won't have to listen to me talk LotR non-stop, lol! Anyway, on to the update. There are two reasons for the lack of updates. First, all the shows I watch have been first run episodes, so what with keeping up with my t.v. shows, there hasn't been time to catch many movies. Second, there haven't been ma...

Inspiration

Every so often a movie comes along that truly inspires you every time you watch it, more than any other movie you've ever seen. You can watch it over and over and always learn something new about yourself and the world around you. It's the one movie you turn to when life hits a low point and you need someone or something to help pick you back up. I don't know what that one movie is for you, but for me I've discovered it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Return of the King most of all. I don't know why these movies help to pick me up. Maybe it's watching Frodo's struggling journey that helps me realize as hard as I think things are for me, some people struggle with something much harder to deal with and they do it with great perseverance and courage. Like Frodo, they come out a different and stronger person. Makes me realize I should stop complaining and just get on with the task or tasks at hand. Or maybe it's seeing that Frodo wasn't ...

"Here's Lookin' at You Kid"

The other day my husband and I watched Casablanca . It came in at number 2 on AFI's list and I can see why. Citizen Kane was number 1 and this movie was definitely just as brilliant as that one. In fact, they are two of my new favorite movies. I have to ask myself, how did I go through 30 years of life without watching Casablanca ? Allow me to expound - Acting: Some of the accents were a little off, but aside from that, the acting was so good. Sam cracked me up and there was such great acting on the part of Bogart. My favorite scene was when he confronted Ilsa. He acted that scene with such passion that you could feel his character's heartache and anger. Plot: This storyline was much easier to follow than The Maltese Falcon . Also it was neat to see the famous scenes and hear the famous lines from this movie in their proper context. They make so much more sense now. Musical score: Very good in terms setting the tone of key scenes. Sam's playing and choice of music really a...