Skip to main content

I Wish you a Merry Christmas

So, are you on the lookout for a good holiday movie? Well, me too. I ended up working an extra Saturday this month, which really cut into my movie watching time. I had all these plans to see the following movies:

Polar Express
National Treasure
Lemony Snickett's Series of Unfortunate Events
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera

I'm sure there were others I wanted to see, but I don't remember what those are now. Out of all the above movies Brian and I have seen National Treasure. I have to say, despite some doubts I had at the beginning it turned out to be a pretty good movie.

If you are in to U.S, History, you'd probably find this a good movie. I mentioned some doubts I had at the beginning of the movie. For example, In one of the opening scenes of the movie a grandfather is explaining the history of the Masons organization to his grandson and, having just researched the masons for a library customer, I'm not sure the grandfather's explanation was entirely acurate. Also, some of the things in the movie happened just a little too effortlessly, which required a lot of suspension of disbelief on my part and I wasn't sure I could stretch that far, lol!

Those things aside though, it was a good movie. I am somewhat into U.S. History and I've been to D.C and Pennsylvania which is where most of the movie is set. So, it was interesting to watch the movie and see the places I've visited in a new light. Plus, I love the whole idea of secret maps and buried treasure. The acting was great too. All in all, I highly reccomend this movie. It was a good action flick without all the swearing and w/out a *ton* of violence (although there was some). Oh and no love making going on either, so yaay for that too. This movie gets my thumbs up. Oh yeah, my husband gave it a thumbs up too.

I'm pretty busy this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, but I plan to carve out some time to go see the Lemony Snickett movie. Phantom comes out on the 22nd (in limited release). I just hope it opens at a theatre near me. If it does, believe me, I'll be there! Look for more reviews here in the near future.

Hope you all have a happy holiday and have fun movie-ing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitch and the Oscars

Well, after quite some time I"m finally getting here to update this blog. I noticed tonight it's been since January since I wrote anything. Don't know how this post will turn out, though because my body is trying to get a cold and I'm trying to keep ahead of it. Assuming everyone hasn't given up on this blog, does anyone have tried and true methods to offer on how to keep from getting sick? I have to work the next seven days straight through and absolutely have no time to get sick. On the up side, though, I met someone at my church who likes Lord of the Rings as much as I do so now I have someone (in real life) to talk about the movies with and my husband won't have to listen to me talk LotR non-stop, lol! Anyway, on to the update. There are two reasons for the lack of updates. First, all the shows I watch have been first run episodes, so what with keeping up with my t.v. shows, there hasn't been time to catch many movies. Second, there haven't been ma...

Inspiration

Every so often a movie comes along that truly inspires you every time you watch it, more than any other movie you've ever seen. You can watch it over and over and always learn something new about yourself and the world around you. It's the one movie you turn to when life hits a low point and you need someone or something to help pick you back up. I don't know what that one movie is for you, but for me I've discovered it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Return of the King most of all. I don't know why these movies help to pick me up. Maybe it's watching Frodo's struggling journey that helps me realize as hard as I think things are for me, some people struggle with something much harder to deal with and they do it with great perseverance and courage. Like Frodo, they come out a different and stronger person. Makes me realize I should stop complaining and just get on with the task or tasks at hand. Or maybe it's seeing that Frodo wasn't ...

"Here's Lookin' at You Kid"

The other day my husband and I watched Casablanca . It came in at number 2 on AFI's list and I can see why. Citizen Kane was number 1 and this movie was definitely just as brilliant as that one. In fact, they are two of my new favorite movies. I have to ask myself, how did I go through 30 years of life without watching Casablanca ? Allow me to expound - Acting: Some of the accents were a little off, but aside from that, the acting was so good. Sam cracked me up and there was such great acting on the part of Bogart. My favorite scene was when he confronted Ilsa. He acted that scene with such passion that you could feel his character's heartache and anger. Plot: This storyline was much easier to follow than The Maltese Falcon . Also it was neat to see the famous scenes and hear the famous lines from this movie in their proper context. They make so much more sense now. Musical score: Very good in terms setting the tone of key scenes. Sam's playing and choice of music really a...