Skip to main content

I'm Having One of Those Days


You know, the kind of day when you just have to watch a certain movie and you need to watch it right now? Yes, I'm having one of those days. I really want a good conspiracy movie. To be specific, I want to watch National Treasure. It's a great movie with lots of action, adventure, a good plot, and little to no swearing. Alas, it's also a movie we don't yet own, so I'm having to settle for something else. Just don't know what yet. When you want to watch a certain movie, right now nothing else in your movie library will quite fit the bill. So what do you do when you have to watch a movie right now and you can't get your hands on it (i.e., it's not in your collection, it's not in at your library or the video store)? Vote in my poll off to the right. Now, on to the real reason for this post.

This weekend I watched a movie I'd not yet seen, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I'm not quite sure what I'd been expecting from this movie, but it was far better than I thought it would be. Liam Aiken (Klaus) and Emily Browning (Violet) were both really good in their performances. Both have upcoming projects, according to Internet Movie Database, which I'd really like to see. They seem like up and coming talents. Oh, and the little girls they got to play Sunny were so cute. Though, my vision of Sunny from the books didn't really match the look she had on the screen. Can't quite put my finger on why, though.

Then there was Jim Carey. In my opinion, he really brought Count Olaf to life. Jim Carey started to grow on me after I saw Liar Liar and The Majestic and I think I pretty much like anything he's been in lately. However, I digress. Carey's Count Olaf was silky, sly, and slimy. He also did a brilliant job with Stefano and Captain Sham. I think Carey's performance was my favorite, although, as I said, the kids were really good in their roles.

I was a bit creeped out by Olaf's acting troupe, as one was supposed to be. The camera shots were very well done. My favorite was the one where Olaf was reading a "Variety" type magazine in the general store. It had Lon Chaney's as the Phantom of the Opera on the cover and there was this really cool shot of Lon Chaney's picture just below Count Olaf's head as a he lowers the paper. That was an absolutely cool shot.

As this movie came out a couple of years ago, I was of course watching this on DVD. As far as DVDs go, it had your typical fare: Coming Attractions, commentaries, deleted scenes, and outtakes. There were also some of the screen tests they did for the kids and some footage of how Jim Carey created all those characters. The outtakes and deleted scenes were weird and I'm not sure they could have got the rating they did if they those scenes in. I only watched a bit of the first commentary with the director, Brad Silberling, and he had some interesting things to say about the film. Today I'll probably watch the commentary with Silberling and Daniel Handler, author of the Series of Unfortunate Events books. If I do I'll post my thoughts about it later. For now though, I'm going to sit down in my favorite reading spot with a tall glass of water and see if I can finish the book I started a couple of days ago.

Happy movieing, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitch and the Oscars

Well, after quite some time I"m finally getting here to update this blog. I noticed tonight it's been since January since I wrote anything. Don't know how this post will turn out, though because my body is trying to get a cold and I'm trying to keep ahead of it. Assuming everyone hasn't given up on this blog, does anyone have tried and true methods to offer on how to keep from getting sick? I have to work the next seven days straight through and absolutely have no time to get sick. On the up side, though, I met someone at my church who likes Lord of the Rings as much as I do so now I have someone (in real life) to talk about the movies with and my husband won't have to listen to me talk LotR non-stop, lol! Anyway, on to the update. There are two reasons for the lack of updates. First, all the shows I watch have been first run episodes, so what with keeping up with my t.v. shows, there hasn't been time to catch many movies. Second, there haven't been ma

Inspiration

Every so often a movie comes along that truly inspires you every time you watch it, more than any other movie you've ever seen. You can watch it over and over and always learn something new about yourself and the world around you. It's the one movie you turn to when life hits a low point and you need someone or something to help pick you back up. I don't know what that one movie is for you, but for me I've discovered it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Return of the King most of all. I don't know why these movies help to pick me up. Maybe it's watching Frodo's struggling journey that helps me realize as hard as I think things are for me, some people struggle with something much harder to deal with and they do it with great perseverance and courage. Like Frodo, they come out a different and stronger person. Makes me realize I should stop complaining and just get on with the task or tasks at hand. Or maybe it's seeing that Frodo wasn't

Score!!

I know I've been scarce here since before Christmas. Blame it on the movie companies. No good new movies=no new blog postings. Hopefully that will all change very soon. My husband and I scored big time on the DVD front this Christmas. Of course that was followed by his birthday and then mine (yesterday). We got even more movies. So, now we have enough DVDs to carry us through the upcoming dearth of good movies. I have to say I have *the best* sister-in-law anyone could have. She sent me the t.v. show Nowhere Man, which is now out on DVD. I loved, loved, LOVED that show when it was on and can't believe it didn't generate enough fan interest to keep it on the air more than a season or two. However, now I have the DVD so I can enjoy all nineteen hours of it plus commentaries, deleted scenes, outtakes, and all that good stuff. Do you have any idea how hard it was to come to work today? Of course it wasn't just the t.v. show that created such good memories of college for me.