Skip to main content

Lots to blog about

I see it's been since mid-November since I updated this blog and even longer for some of my others. That's what happens when you have family birthdays, Christmas, and move across county to a new apartment all within the space of two months. Things are finally settling down now and I can finally blog about all those movies I've seen lately. Now if I could just remember what all of them are. Hmmm...well, let's just jump right in, shall we?

Topping the list is Rent, which I saw with a couple of friends from work. Now, this was two months ago that I saw it, so some of the details have gone fuzzy, but I did think it was really good. For some reason I had it in my mind that everyone dies in the end rather than just one person, so it didn't end like I thought it would. Ah well, as I said, fuzzy details. This one I'm looking forward to coming out on DVD and hope it has good special features.

The next one I saw was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. My husband and I have seen this one about five times now and it gets better every time we see it. The acting was so much better and there were some great lighthearted scenes. My favorite scene has to be when they are discussing getting dates for the Yule Ball during the study hall session. I laugh so hard everytime I watch that scene. Toward the beginning there are, of course, the obligatory cheesy lines, which seem to appear in every Potter film. At least they are gotten out of the way early in the film and I can sit back and enjoy the rest of the movie. A couple of down sides to the movie, though. First is that the opening Quidditch World Cup scenes are too short. I realize that time is of the essence when making a movie, but it would have been nice to have a few more minutes with the World Cup. I also thought there should be more Death Eaters apparating in during the graveyard scene at the end. For some reason I always pictured more people in that scene than they put in the movie. On the whole though, this one is a definite two thumbs up and my husband and I can't wait unti March 7th when it's released on DVD.

December brought around The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which I went to see with my dad. He read that book to me when I was little, so it was special to go see the movie with him. Like a lot of people, I thought the beginning of the movie was a bit slow. Once the children got to the Professor's house, though, the movie picked up. The whole production team did a great job of bringing Narnia to life. The kids were good in their roles and I especially thought James McAvoy did a great job as Mr. Tumnus. He was one of my favorite characters from the book, so I admit to being a bit partial to the way McAvoy portrayed him. It seemed like they tried a bit too hard in the battle scenes at the end to make it a grand epic movie on the scale of Lord of the Rings. Some of the camera shots seemed a bit cliche and it didn't really draw me in the way some battle scenes do. Overall, though, I really liked the movie and will probably buy it when the DVD hits the store.

Just this past Sunday my husband and I caught Cassanova starring Heath Ledger. Now, I am not well read on the stories/legends of Cassanova, nor on the life in and culture of Italy in the 1700s. So, I don't know how historically/literaturely accurate this movie is and I'm not sure I care in this case. I do know Heath Ledger pulled off another terrific acting job and the movie made me laugh. That made it worth the cost of a full price ticket to me. Two thumbs up and another DVD to add to my list.

This brings me to today. A couple hours ago I got home from finally getting to watch Peter Jackson's King Kong and I have to say, oh my gosh, what a phenomenal movie. If you read my blog from about a year ago, you'll remember I didn't think much of the original King Kong. Horrible acting and all that. This version blew me away. I swear it did not seem like three hours had gone by. Jackson had some great camera shots and between him and Andy Serkis, they really gave Kong lots of emotion and really made you feel for him. Brilliant acting as well, especially Jack Black and Naomi Watts. What with all the other movies out there that I'm hoping to see, I'm not sure I'll make back to see this one on the big screen again, but, you guessed it, I'm going to buy the DVD.

That's about it for this update. It was a much better holiday movie season than the summer movie season was. Here's hoping next summer will be better. My husband is traveling at the moment, so I don't know that I'll be posting an update relating to any current movies. However, I did get a number of movies for Christmas, so perhaps I can finally get around to watching some of those and I'll have another update soon.

Until then, happy movieing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitch and the Oscars

Well, after quite some time I"m finally getting here to update this blog. I noticed tonight it's been since January since I wrote anything. Don't know how this post will turn out, though because my body is trying to get a cold and I'm trying to keep ahead of it. Assuming everyone hasn't given up on this blog, does anyone have tried and true methods to offer on how to keep from getting sick? I have to work the next seven days straight through and absolutely have no time to get sick. On the up side, though, I met someone at my church who likes Lord of the Rings as much as I do so now I have someone (in real life) to talk about the movies with and my husband won't have to listen to me talk LotR non-stop, lol! Anyway, on to the update. There are two reasons for the lack of updates. First, all the shows I watch have been first run episodes, so what with keeping up with my t.v. shows, there hasn't been time to catch many movies. Second, there haven't been ma

Inspiration

Every so often a movie comes along that truly inspires you every time you watch it, more than any other movie you've ever seen. You can watch it over and over and always learn something new about yourself and the world around you. It's the one movie you turn to when life hits a low point and you need someone or something to help pick you back up. I don't know what that one movie is for you, but for me I've discovered it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Return of the King most of all. I don't know why these movies help to pick me up. Maybe it's watching Frodo's struggling journey that helps me realize as hard as I think things are for me, some people struggle with something much harder to deal with and they do it with great perseverance and courage. Like Frodo, they come out a different and stronger person. Makes me realize I should stop complaining and just get on with the task or tasks at hand. Or maybe it's seeing that Frodo wasn't

Score!!

I know I've been scarce here since before Christmas. Blame it on the movie companies. No good new movies=no new blog postings. Hopefully that will all change very soon. My husband and I scored big time on the DVD front this Christmas. Of course that was followed by his birthday and then mine (yesterday). We got even more movies. So, now we have enough DVDs to carry us through the upcoming dearth of good movies. I have to say I have *the best* sister-in-law anyone could have. She sent me the t.v. show Nowhere Man, which is now out on DVD. I loved, loved, LOVED that show when it was on and can't believe it didn't generate enough fan interest to keep it on the air more than a season or two. However, now I have the DVD so I can enjoy all nineteen hours of it plus commentaries, deleted scenes, outtakes, and all that good stuff. Do you have any idea how hard it was to come to work today? Of course it wasn't just the t.v. show that created such good memories of college for me.